Thursday, August 27, 2015

When Life Gives You Grapes...

...You Make Wine?

Today was a little different while WWOOFing.

I've done a lot of digging. A lot, I think somewhere around seven or eight two foot holes. I've dug a pond, knocked down the wall of an ancient homestead, I've installed poles, poured concrete in the holes. I've smashed rocks, planted a lot of seeds. I've cleared a yard, two greenhouses, and a complex of weeds and other detritus. Not complaining. It is the shmita after all here in Israel.

Today I actually got to try my hand at harvesting.

Grapes. Not just any grapes, but mainly grapes for use in wine. I'll be harvesting the rest tomorrow.

It was interesting. Each line of grape trees(? Bushes?) took about two hours. We were actually helping our neighbors, the other volunteer and myself, while our host was visiting family.


Let's go with bushes.
Here's about how large each of those bundles are.



Ok that photo didn't really do justice to how tiny these grapes are.
Nearby were some bushes that were neglects, so I hacked some off.



Those grapes are incredibly small. The larger grapes are your average sized grapes. Not good for wine apparently.
I don't actually know the first thing about grapes, or why smaller grapes are better for wine, which is what these grapes will be turned into.
Here's a site that explains it; something to do with the larger the grape the more juice instead of skin which contains the flavor.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/fermenting/growing-grapes-and-making-homemade-
wine-zmaz03amzgoe.aspx


Here I am picking the grapes;


Next will ensue the photos;




I have to say there is something satisfying in harvesting a field. I wouldn't call it fun- the actual cutting of the grapes was pretty difficult. The grape bushes are plants on steppes, but the ones we worked on were prone to collapsing. Combined with biting ants, and bees (not sure why, there's no water or flowers so...)

But actual carrying a bushel/basket of grapes to the storage shed felt great.

I actually got to feel for a bit what it's like to farm.

Plus lunch was great- the host family is vegan, so the person I helped today isn't and it was the first time in three weeks I've had meat. I'm pretty sure that's what enlightenment feels like, or at least dying and going to heaven.

Somewhere in-between I suppose.

And that's what WWOOFing is about.




No comments:

Post a Comment